Saturday, February 6, 2010

That white fluff stuff

Here's a quick follow-up on that whole snow day thing. It started falling in the night - I woke up to one serious thunderclap at about 4 in the morning and peeked outside. Glasses off and with a completely unlit view outside the window, the ground definitely looked kind of whitish. Of course that's a really scientific and accurate observation. I got a 7:45 text about class cancellation, and of course then promptly turned off my 8:00 alarm. That was followed by an 8:15 phone call from Ahmed, one of the program employees, making sure that I had gotten the text. Aaaand then I went back to sleep. Glorious.

By the time I woke up again, whatever ground accumulation there may have been was completely gone. But there were flakes! All day was like that - lazy, flakes drifting down off and on. There was enough accumulation to mess with the satellite signal, so I went up with my host sister and maid to brush off the dish. Okay, my sister did the sweeping, and the maid and I just kind of danced around and laughed a lot. The view was wonderful. Although not so much of the fluffy white blanket of Christmas cards, we did see people running around below under umbrellas.

Lots of you (at least those on Facebook) have been marveling at Jordanian snow. Trust me, I was too. My host family tells me that it happens maybe once a year or once every two years. Remember what I said about Amman having roughly the same temperatures as Raleigh? Well, look at Raleigh's - and even more so, Richmond's - recent weather. You guys don't get to have all the abnormal cold-snap fun!

Cool, no?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got a lovely day of rest and fun. I think I wrote you that Nashville had a rather rare showfall that kept my driveway impassable for five days, the first two days of which I slept. We usually just get flurries but last week was for real. I can't imagine what Washington is like with the blizzard they are having. When I lived there, two inches put the whole town in a mess. Love you Gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine that the rooftop dances were a snow dance to make it snow more. I am so very glad that you are getting to experience the Amman snow blizzard. At the same time, I am a little sad that you are not in Richmond for the 15 inches last weekend and the 8 inches this weekend. I suppose we have to make the most of what we have in the moment. The dancing, sleeping, and helping all sound fun on a "snow day" off from classes.

    ReplyDelete