Sunday, February 7, 2010

Falafel to the rescue

I helped make falafel tonight! My host dad called me into the kitchen as he was preparing it - yes, my host dad cooks - and showed me how to do it. I came in after he had mixed the dough, but I got to form the balls and drop them into the oil and saw him prepare the hummus and baba ghanoush and tasted straight tahini and everything was wonderful. I hadn't cooked anything since before I left the US. The 23rd, in fact, making that chicken/rice/chili thing with Thomas... good times.

You see, I love kitchens. Lost of people love food - me included. Ice cream, fried chicken, chocolate chip cookies, mashed potatoes... these are comfort foods. Especially the cookies. But for me, the kitchen is also a comfort food. Yes, I like to bake cupcakes and brew tea while everyone else is watching football. It makes me feel good.

And yes, I've been known to clean other people's kitchens. It happens when I'm nervous - usually at social gatherings. I wipe down counters, organize the recycling, place things in the dishwasher, take thing sout of the dishwasher, make water soapy, make dishes soapy, make dishes unsoapy, make dishes dry, and on and on. It makes me feel good.

So, When Farah came over tonight... Let me explain. Farah is my peer language tutor (volunteering to spend time with me and pledging to speak no English). She is also Rasha's best friend. She is also energetic like a firecracker, like combustion, like the hot oil after dropping in a ball of falafel dough. And this did not work very well for me. I shrink when faced with newness and energy - I hold firecrackers at arm's length, I step away from the stove when the oil starts popping. It makes me uncomfortable, so I just sort of lie back and chill out.

This is the part where falafel plays the hero. A few minutes after Farah came, I was called into the kitchen. Host dad knew that I wanted to learn how to cook Arabic food, so he showed me the falafel, the hummus, the everything listed above. Most of what I did was watching, but I found it calming nonetheless. I was comfortable again, in the kitchen, around the food. I did not clean up, because I've found that I'm not allowed to (this whole maid business is completely new to me), but just being inside a kitchen with the sight/smell/sound of cooking was good.

The aftermath: falafel came out tasty. Hummus and baba ghanoush were both tasty and beautiful - the preparation is a little like art. And all of us talked and laughed over the meal. By the end, everything was great. Silly dancing and strawberry milk in juice box cartons, good things all around. In some sense, every moment since I walked through security at the RDU airport has been out of my comfort zone. But not matter where I am - where anyone is - there's always some measure of security to curl up in. No matter where you are, something can remind you of home.

So I love falafel, now on more than just a culinary level. Don't take it personally, chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. I'll be baking up a batch of you just as soon as I get home. But falafel has done me a favor tonight.

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful that your Jordanian dad is teaching you how to prepare Arabic food!

    It sure was great to see you and chat with you today! - and meet your family!! They all seem so very nice.

    I miss you. Warm hugs and love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very glad that you are allowing yourself to be out of your comfort zone at times on this adventure. It is also wise that you are aware when you need to back away and find a place of comfort.

    The chocolate chips and the oatmeal will be waiting for your return. However, I also suspect that some of your new skills will be be added to your home kitchen comforts.

    Don't get too use to the whole maid thing. We will have plenty of opportunity for you to exercise your desire to clean once you return. We can even extend that opportunity beyond the kitchen.

    I am so very glad that you can find what is needed in the midst of what is new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, we have a great kitchen. Please come visit! You can cook and clean to your heart's content.

    Seriously, we are very proud of you and your courage. We love that you are embracing the new and knowing yourself and what you need in the midst of it.

    We look forward to a sampling of your new culinary dishes!

    much love, Carlyn and Craig

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do love cleaning kitchens. Works for me, I never had to clean mine!
    That all sounds amazing(ly) delicious and makes me want falafel...real real bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved hearing about your kitchen experience. I never cooked anything except toasted cheese sandwiches until I married and found I was just like Grandmommie and Ganny Walker in that area. The nicest part about cooking is that you will enjoy it all your life and so will your family and friends - I think!
    It is Super Bowl time. I'll pull for New Orleans but hate for Peton to lose so I won't be disappointed with the ending. Actually, I probably won't watch to the end. Gotta go fix something to eat. No falafel on hand! Love you, Gram

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have Previewed! I do know how to spell Peyton. Gram

    ReplyDelete