Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sweet and sour chicken

I'm sitting at home, watching Ghost Whisperer, full from a meal of mall food-court Chinese food.

"But Sarah," you say, "you can't possibly be back in America already!"

Well, I'm not. Life in Jordan, in some ways, isn't so different as you might think. And life in my Jordanian house is different still. The television (they have about a thousand channels) is almost always on - this is fairly typical for an Arab family. My family has internet access (hence the home update), which is definitely atypical. And I went with my host sister today to City Mall - a four-story brobdingnagian of a shopping center. Fun fact, the Sbarro there serves real Italian food - pasta, bread - instead of greasy pizza. What a shame.

I could go on and on about the differences and similarities between Jordan and the US. Make a giant Venn diagram that would take all day to read. But I got ahead of myself. I really wanted to start out writing about my host family.

My host mom is Italian, and my host dad is Palestinian - this family is atypical even from the first sentence. I have two host sisters - one is a student at UJ, and the other works in acupuncture. Rasha, my student sister, is also an intern with CIEE. At our Wednesday dinner, the night before we found out about our host families and met them for the first time, she asked how I felt about meeting mine. I told her that I was excited, but nervous - very nervous, almost scared - and she reassured me that I would be fine. Tricky, tricky. She knew then. She had known from the start that I was going to be her host sister, but I was completely surprised when our housing director told me about it. You know, in the good way.

My fears were completely unfounded. Rasha is fluent in English, and each other family member has a varying amount of English proficiency. Between all of them, I'm conversing comfortably, learning a little bit of Arabic, and also learning a little bit of Italian. This family speaks its own language. All of them have been so very welcoming to me, and their house is wonderfully comfortable.

After spending a lazy weekend at the house, waking up late - which is still five in the morning at home - I'm starting classes tomorrow. Yes, I typed that correctly. Sunday. The work week/school week here is Sunday through Thursday, because Friday is the holy day in Islam. Arabic class will begin tomorrow, running S/T/R, with a listening section on W and a colloquial dialect class M/W. Yeah, that's a lot of Arabic. Tomorrow we register for our area studies (= elective) classes - which I'm still deciding on. Check Fb for the poll.

I wish that I could be witty and stylistic tonight, but I just can't seem to pull it off. Do I have first-day-of-school butterflies? Well, it seems that I do. No matter - I'll just wear my glasses tomorrow. Professors think you're smarter when you wear glasses.

... Or something like that.

6 comments:

  1. I can't image a better situation for you. Your host family sounds like a real bunch of delights. God truly does provide.

    Though - Sbarro?!? And here I thought Sbarro was considered as blatantly American a thing as white socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that glasses thing worked to well for me. Perhaps the truth came out to quickly or it just works better for females. Either way, I hope your classes go well - with or without glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes on the classes and glasses. We are so happy for you with your host family. What a treat for you to have a couple of "sisters" for a few months. We are looking foward to hearing about what electives you chose. Take care, have fun, study hard!
    lots of love from Colorado Petersons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Honey, your Mom is trying to talk me through a comment. Love, Gram

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, It has taken me longer to figure out how to comment but FINALLY I am here. For the new shoes - Two thumbs up as those are Uncle Mike's favorite shoes - you could have just borrowed his shoes.
    Go for the glasses in the classes!!!!!!! Love you, Cheryl and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Gram again. I'm going solo! I just love blogging and if this makes it to you, I'll comment again and again. What exciting adventures you are having and sharing and how well you compose them - another talent!! You really are amazing. And I love you dearly, Gram

    ReplyDelete