Saturday, April 10, 2010

Big white lines

Three guest posts, three illnesses, a handful of midterms, and two papers later, I'm back!

It's been busy, to say the very least. I didn't do the country-hopping that a lot of my friends did over spring break - Syria, Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, France, and Ireland, to name a few - but I have clambered over a good bit of my own country. I've been a tour guide at Petra, Jerash, Umm Qais, the Dead Sea, a handful of Biblical sites, and right here in good old Amman. Even though Jordan is a small country, that's still a lot of traveling. Just to give my own quick review of the good times that my guest bloggers wrote about...

Most of those trips were do-overs for me. Let's be honest here. As far as the sights I'd already seen, the coolest part for all of those trips was seeing other people's reactions to them. My parents kept asking if I was bored by doing the same things over again. Well, no. Even if I've already explored all of it and know what to expect from the ruin/natural environment/historical whatever, I don't know what to expect from my companions. And I love that. For matters of personal interests, though, Umm Qais was easily the most exciting.

I loved Umm Qais for the reasons that my parents mentioned - the very local feel, the wonderful view of Lake Tiberias - but also for a much more modern-day one. We could see the Golan Heights. History lesson: the Golan Heights are a disputed territory stolen by Israel from Syria during the 1967 war. It consists of plateaus in the south and mountainous regions in the north. The Golan Heights are rugged. They're sparsely populated. It seems like it could be such an inconsequential region, but it's not. I've spent a lot of my weekends around Jordan looking at history from thousands of years ago - and that's wonderful. But, as one of my classmates expressed this week, you can get tired of ruins. They're magnificent. They're breathtaking. But it's easy to get tired of something that's around you so much and in such close proximity. The Golan Heights are different. It's history of a more current sort. This sort of history is what I'm studying here in Jordan. Really, it's what got me interested in the Middle East in the first place. And it's not altogether history: it's today as well. I was struck deeply upon first looking out at the view from a hillside on Umm Qais. Directly below us was Jordan, those last few kilometers before the border. To the left was Lake Tiberias. And straight ahead - the Golan Heights. Amazing.

Let me digress for a moment. In the second grade, Mrs. Sharo assigned our class a project on one of the states. We each pulled the name of a state out of a hat; I got Utah. (I still remember that its state tree is the blue spruce.) When I read about the Four Corners, I was fascinated. I wanted to know what it felt like to be in four places at once. A few years after that, most likely while staying at my grandmother's cabin one summer, our parents took my brothers and me to some state or national park. It was on the border of two states - come to think of it, I can't even remember which two. I do remember the white line painted on the asphalt walking path, there in the middle of the woods. There was really nothing remarkable about it. I stood with one foot on either side of the line and remember thinking, "Maybe it would be more impressive if there were three of them." You see, I couldn't find a difference. The line really didn't change anything; without it, I'd never have known if I was in one place or another.

Similarly, up on that hill, you couldn't distinguish one place from another. It was easy to guess where Jordan ended - maybe where the buildings stop, perchance? And even easier from the ground. Security forces would let you know. But from up top, we couldn't be sure. And where's the line between the disputed Golan Heights and that land which is considered Israel for real? We couldn't see it. As far as we could tell, there was a lake with some cities on its banks, cuddled up next to some high plateau land, at the foot of which rested another small town. Are these really three different places? Is this really what we're fighting for?

Maybe it would feel different if the governments painted big white lines all over the land. Then from above, we would see what belongs with whom. But from up where my parents and I stood, it looked like everything could be one. And I like it much better that way.

The best part of having guests here was knowing that I was witnessing, maybe even causing, a change in perspectives. But I like knowing that my own perspective on things is still up for grabs, too.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Sarah. I think Umm Qais was a favorite for all three of us. I really like how you have written about it. - that there are no visible lines. Indeed, how great it would be if the countries involved could somehow "see" and accept that?
    As an fyi: It was Cumberland Gap National Park where we walked to the point where Tennessee-Kentucky-Virginia all intersect. Yes, 3 states, not 2. I am surprised that you remember this.
    Thanks again for a most memorable and enlightening trip.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Sorry for the misplaced "?")

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are both right. It was Cumberland Gap with a marker denoting the intersection of VA, KY, and TN. On the path to the marker, there was a white painted line denoting the boundary between VA and KY. Peter stood in VA and John in KY. Sarah stood straddling the white line. I have a couple of pictures that I will e-mail you both as I cannot figure out how to include them in this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes. I do remember this now. - even before seeing the pictures which prove it. To those who don't know the significance: John was born in Kentucky and Peter in Virginia, so that is why they were each on "their" side. And Sarah straddled the line because NC, her birthplace, was not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really think I like it better without the white lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree entirely. It's the lines that are only in our minds that pose the biggest threats to our continued existence as humans. The lines we draw ourselves are even more frightening than the ones that others draw for us. But then again, humans are perhaps the single living forms capable of the decision to cross these distinguished lines willfully and make new ones, or sometimes even erase old ones. It just takes time... perhaps more time than we have in our short lives. But each line we cross and erase in the name of understanding brings us one step closer to the line that separates us from our Maker, and His plan for us all. At least, that's how I've always seen it. :) And for what it's worth, I have heard about the Cumberland Gap line story from John as well, and I believe I have been at that spot in the Four Corners once, during my month-long trip across the western half of the country with my grandparents. I have to be honest: the latter was not a memorable experience. I would rather have seen each state for itself, to see what made each special in its own way. Lines are not nearly so interesting as the substance they divide in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much I am learning from your letters! And how much more you will be able to discuss about it when you come home. I am in Nashville, thanks to chauffer Grissim and it is good I am away from that yummy Cold Stone ice cream! I was one more shake or cup away from addiction!! We were greeted when we got here by 22 huge lilac blooms on my little bush!! I had planted it only three years ago. What a treat. It made coming into the house without Jimmy much easier and, of course, having Grissim with me was a real help. Love, Gram

    ReplyDelete